Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wine a bit—you’ll feel better.

 
My history with wine is very short. I’m newly twenty-one, so I’m still figuring out what I like and I don’t know much about it or how to describe it. My mother was excited to finally have someone to drink wine with her at night. Her choice was always Chardonnay. Usually Rex Goliath. Mine was not. And after an entire summer of drinking this, it still is not nearly my favorite.

My favorite wines are Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc. I feel like the Pinot Grigio, at least, is typical of someone my age. It fits perfectly into my budget. Work actually got me into the Sauvignon Blanc. My supervisor took me to a fancy Greek restaurant to celebrate the end of my internship. We had a wine that, although I can’t remember its name, was described to us as, “a Greek take on Sauvignon Blanc.” It was very strong and very good.

I love whites; I love champagne (especially poinsettias); I’ve recently discovered two really sweet reds I like; and I abhor rose wine after one unpleasant experience during which I felt like I was drinking perfume. Also, I feel like this is relevant, wine ice cream exists. If I get some this semester, I will post a review.

That said, I am just tiptoeing over the line into the world of wine. I’ve enrolled in Geography of Wine with the hopes of broadening my knowledge of and taste for wine. As I am quite ignorant on the topic, I’d like to know a lot about wine. Maybe even to the point that I can impress my peers.

 (Left to right) Lisa, me, Mom, Aunt Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment